Under the overall supervision of the Head of Unit (Migrant Protection and Assistance) and the direct supervision of the Project Officer (Migrant Protection and Assistance), the successful candidate will assist vulnerable and stranded migrants, in addition to coordination and monitoring of the daily activities of the Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration programme. The Senior Migrant Protection Assistant is expected to carry out his/her duties in accordance with strictest moral and ethical standards and with due respect for gender and socio-cultural differences.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
In particular s/he will:
- Coordinate, facilitate and review screenings with vulnerable migrants including potential victims of trafficking at the IOM Office or in other premises (such as the Egyptian Immigration Office, detention facilities, home visits, etc.);
- Maintain an updated record of cases and files, in compliance with IOM data protection principles and monitor the same amongst a team of Migrant Protection Assistants;
- Prepare statistics, reports and analysis on projects related AVRR as requested;
- Provide trainings on victim’s identification and assisted voluntary return and reintegration to incoming staff and junior Migrant Protection Assistants;
- Act as a focal point for other agencies relevant to the field of migrants held in government custody and the provision of assistance to them;
- Oversee junior Migrant Protection Assistant’s daily work, including ongoing case management;
- Implement monitoring and evaluation activities of the Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration Programme, in coordination with the Project Officer (MPA);
- Assist the Project Officer (MPA) in all aspects of the implementation of the AVRR Programme, and act as the responsible focal point in the absence of the aforementioned;
- Ensure appropriate data management of beneficiaries, including entering data into IOM local and global databases on assistance and proper filing in accordance with data management guidelines. Ensure compliance amongst all staff members;
- Ensure the confidentiality and safe assistance of all beneficiaries and participate in development of procedures and policies as necessary, in coordination with the Project Officer (MPA);
- Assist in coordinating the development and maintenance of a monthly IOM AVRR/Direct Services bulletin, in coordination with the Project Coordination Unit;
- Prepare statistics, forecasts, reports and analysis as requested;
- Act as a focal point for coordinating AVRR related concerns with other agencies and provide guidance to other team members on AVRR related issues, including by attending working group meetings and proactively exchanging relevant information between members of the working group and IOM staff; and,
- Assist in coordinating the daily smooth running of the AVRR programme, including responding to complaints or immediate concerns of beneficiaries, in a calm and professional manner, always seeking to find the most efficient and appropriate outcome for those concerned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Either a University degree in a social care related field, with 4 years of relevant experience; and relevant qualifications;
- Thorough and demonstrable knowledge of migration issues and how these may impact the vulnerability of a person;
- Experience in working with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international organizations an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge in word processing and typing skills; and,
- Experience working with Excel and databases.
- Thorough knowledge of English and Arabic, both spoken and written
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators, Level 02
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators, Level 02
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.