Under the overall supervision of Regional Director (RD) and the direct supervision of the Regional Field Security Officer (RFSO), the incumbent will assist in the implementation, coordination, and monitoring of all technical and security processes related to the IOM security set standards providing the necessary support to IOM personnel and assets in the Regional Office (RO) in Cairo and for Country Offices in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA).
The incumbent will deliver and assist where required the UN Safe and Secure Approaches in Field Environments (SSAFE) project and conduct the UN Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) for IOM and other UN agencies inside and outside Egypt.
In addition, he/she will assist the MENA RFSO to implement all IOM safety and security policies, guidelines, programs related to the required United Nations Security Risk Management (UNSRM) and mandatory compliance under the UNSMS for MENA.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Deliver the United Nations Safe and Secure Approaches in Field Environments (UN SSAFE) for IOM and other UN agencies inside and outside Egypt through close coordination with UNDSS and IOM SSU HQ,
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- Conduct the UN Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) training for IOM, the UN personnel locally and at global levels where required in Egypt or elsewhere.
- Liaise and maintain all required official coordination with the host government National Security and external security stakeholders to facilitate and coordinate all security-related UN training matters for all security clearances to support an effective SSAFE and IFAK program roll-out in Cairo.
- Coordinate all logistics, procurement and administrative arrangements related to UN SSAFE/IFAK; and coordinate the content of the training curriculum with the UNDSS College and UNDSS New York to ensure quality assurance and courses are delivered at the set UN endorsed SSAFE/IFAK standards.
- Respond to IOM SSU surge MENA and otherwise where required to support IOM Country Offices on security/safety related issues.
- Contribute to the MENA SSU Unit in the implementation of all designated safety, security contingency plans, procedures and policies under UNDSS and the IOM Security Management System.
- Ensure that the security administration protocols for UN travel clearances, TRIP profiles, IOM personnel lists are maintained while ensuring security tasking linked to the Security Risk Management (SRM) are maintained and archived effectively.
- Ensure RO MENA personnel call list is updated, IOM wardens are managed effectively, internal and external security awareness training are rolled out effectively at least twice a year for IOM Personnel, in line with current United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS), and IOM SSU Policies. (guarding, UHF radio applications, operational capacities are compliant to IOM/UN in Egypt)
- Contribute to the MENA RO physical security surveys for IOM sites, required mandatory UN SRM recommendations, working closely with the Egypt CO to maintain the RO MENA compliant under the endorsed UNSRM/SMT. (IOM/UN sites in Egypt) through active participation in the development and implementation of all security contingency plans reference MOSS/RSM and IOM/UN business continuity plan (BCP).
- Monitor and analyze in-country security situations for Egypt, and bordering countries in MENA, ensure relevant information is disseminated on a timely manner to the appropriate management, staff and offices.
- Maintain the proper registers on all IOM/UN significant security incident reports (SSIRs) on a timely manner, filed and disseminated following set UNSMS prescribed standards, and all SSU security modalities. 12. In the absence of the MENA RSFO maintain the required security continuity for the Regional Office, through recommendations and administration handover protocols endorsed by SSU, network with UNDSS (Security Cell/UN SMT) and external security stakeholders at the appropriate level to support the RO MENA Handover and follow up in the absence of the MENA RSFO.
- Participate on the UN Egypt security Cell, agency “Security Focal Point” meetings representing IOM SSU unit for the RO MENA, that can include the participation of INGO/NGOs on any SSU RO MENA security objectives.
- Coordinate with HR at the RO and CO to ensure the RO SSU has access to updated National and International personnel lists always, supporting the required realistic personnel lists, hard and soft copies.
- Coordinate all IOM RO MENA programed conferences, workshops, training sessions, VIP missions into Egypt within the UNSMS and current SRM for the UN travel into Egypt through the coordination with UN internal and external HG security stakeholders for designated areas in Egypt.
- Maintain a hard and soft filing system for the RO Security Unit, updated public shared folders on UN security awareness, SSU standards, through personnel access to all security contingency plans relevant to RO MENA and Egypt UNSMS.
- Support and assist the MENA RSO in monitoring and tracking IOM personnel, and assets when required through technical, and operational support with emphasizes on the safety of staff inside Egypt.
- Prepare informal translations of security related documents from Arabic to English and vice versa when required, with emphasis on required monitoring of internal and external open media sources for the analysis on basic trends and patterns for MENA, and to support the RO and CO SSU units.
- Act as Focal Point for the Security Communication and Analysis Network (SCAAN) project while managing and coordinating all administration including management of IOM Personnel updates, sitreps, and advisories in coordination with the SCAAN unit in Geneva.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
University degree in Security, Law Enforcement, Military Studies, Social Sciences, International Studies, Communications or a related field from an accredited academic and five years of related and relevant working experience.
- UN Security management courses UNSCP/UNITP or otherwise experience with the UN Peace-Keeping or Humanitarian security field.
- Added advantage with experience in planning, and operational execution of security management systems private sector or otherwise;
- Previous experience in dealing with law enforcement agencies; and,
- Experience in the North Africa and Middle East security context to network effectively as a regional LSA.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications by sending an email to HRD MENA HRDCairo@iom.int by February 18, 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Posting period: From 05.02.2019 to 18.02.2019